On French Men, And Iron Men…

June 3rd, 2014 · 9 Comments
Economic Growth · Macroeconomics

First off, I will be the proud owner of this in 4-5 business days:

In related news, Stephen Colbert offers up an explanation for the above item as it relates to Thomas Piketty’s Capital in the Twenty-First Century:

In case you haven’t been following along, allow me to get you up to speed: French economist Thomas Piketty wrote a book that is essentially 600 and some odd pages on wealth inequality in French, it got translated into English and became the number one seller on Amazon. (Not number one in economics, number one overall, as Colbert notes. Colbert made a Harry Potter joke, but you can basically think of of the book as 50 Shades of Economics, though better written than the original- not that I would know. This is actually a big deal if for no other reason than it follows a lot of discussion on how nobody pays attention to economic scholarship.) Various scholars and media outlets, most notably the Financial Times, have accused Piketty of errors reminiscent of the Reinhart-Rogoff austerity paper debacle, but Piketty responded with what basically amounts to an intellectual smackdown. (You can read a far more elegant summary here.)

The r and g, as Piketty uses them, refer to the return on property and investments and the rate of economic growth, respectively, and he argues that r being larger than g leads to increasing concentration of wealth. This is mostly reasonable but initially seemed a little odd to me from a notation perspective, since, if I remember my macro correctly, r generally represents the real interest rate and g generally represents the growth rate of technological progress. BUT…I suppose that the real interest rate if capital markets are competitive is equal to the return on capital (i.e. the marginal product of capital minus depreciation) and, along a steady state balanced growth path, the growth rate of the economy is in fact equal to the growth rate of technological progress. (Now who’s deathly boring, Colbert?)

Let’s go to Piketty directly, since he can obviously explain himself better than I can do so on his behalf:

Actually, the book is more interesting and nuanced than that interview suggests (at least the beginning of it), since Piketty certainly does a lot more than rehash the minimum-wage debate.

While watching the Colbert segments, I couldn’t help but giggle at Colbert’s choice to commiserate with Tony Stark, since Stark and the actor that plays him show up in a related work on the subject of income inequality:

Yes, the Wealthy Can Be Deserving
by N. Gregory Mankiw

In 2012, the actor Robert Downey Jr., played the role of Tony Stark, a.k.a. Iron Man, in “The Avengers.” For his work in that single film, Mr. Downey was paid an astounding $50 million.

Does that fact make you mad? Does his compensation strike you as a great injustice? Does it make you want to take to the streets in protest? These questions go to the heart of the debate over economic inequality, to which President Obama has recently been drawing attention.

I’m not sure whether I would rather think that the significance of the bit was a conscious choice or that the world just happens to come full circle when appropriate. (Who am I kidding- I absolutely want the Colbert writers to read as much of the econ interwebs as I do.)

Tags: Economic Growth · Macroeconomics

• 1 Mikhail Voloshin // Jun 4, 2014 at 9:40 am

One thing that I’ve heard nobody address vis-a-vis Picketty’s book (which I admit I haven’t read yet) is why exactly the increased concentration of capital is a bad thing? Who cares if the rich are getting richer, considering that the poor and middle-class are getting richer as well? (And anyone who doubts this need only look at their cellphone and internet connection and ask themselves, Would I rather be poor in 1960 or poor in 2014?) Even if Picketty’s premises and analyses are entirely correct, why exactly would anyone care?

• 2 marvel avengers alliance clash of clans hack ios // Jun 10, 2014 at 1:12 pm

I blog quite often and I truly appreciate your information. The article has truly peaked my interest.
    I will book mark your site and keep checking for new details about once per week.
    I subscribed to your RSS feed as well.

• 3 contoh peluang usaha Rumahan dengan Modal sedikit 2015 // Dec 16, 2014 at 3:45 pm

When researching networking groups or starting your own group, try to limit the number of professionals within your
    own industry. For thosxe who pursue a home-based business, there are many variables to control.
    Thiis relatively new Internet marketing frontier providws sevewral advantages to Internet entrepreneurs who are willing to get
    involved.

• 4 peluang bisnis rumahan // Dec 17, 2014 at 7:16 am

If you are going too be late because of traffic call aheazd and let them know.
    So keep your shoulders straight and your head held
    high: you will seem and feel more alert. If you
    can comfortably walk a 5k in them, you’ll probably need something dressier.
    Mid-length and full length skirts, most often with a centre vent
    to allow foor easy movement.

• 5 bisnis rumahan modal kecil // Dec 22, 2014 at 4:12 pm

When I started my very small business, I shopuld have at least
    written pkan with an overall mission statement that included marketing, financing and financcial accounting.
    Therefore, it is wise to use the internet to
    locate quality programs without breaking the bank finding a company.
    Contact ypur local associations (the ones that you
    have already targeted), in addition to libraries and industry associations and get schesuled to
    speak at their meetings. Yet, this belief may be costing them dollars and customers.

• 6 kulakan baju murah // Dec 22, 2014 at 4:23 pm

Cheap clothes online shopping is all a matter of where
    too look. Most women will end uup erring on the side of caution and
    buy clothes that are actually too big. Asian suuppliers oof wholesale clothes are excellent sources of cheap clothes for children. In order to fiond cheap clothes, considerr the following tips and tricks.

• 7 Jerilyn // Dec 22, 2014 at 5:35 pm

People waitng for the start of the anticipated flick can enjoy a
    vaeiety of activities before the opening credits begin. An email marketing sgstem can be started for
    less than $20 perr month. Let’s loo at some quick and simple ways to promote
    your online presence whle building your online based business.
    In fact some companies get their entire income
    from affioiate marketing.

• 8 Otis // Dec 22, 2014 at 5:39 pm

I think the tike is well overdue that we get caught up in a little “analysis paralysis”
    whe it comes to this old school paradigm of parents telling
    their kids, you MUST go to college to bbe able to get
    a good JOB (Just Ovver Broke). Handling toughh situations well is one of the most important
    sales tips. What might I be abl too let go of to free
    up more time. If you see yourself as an agent of change, someone able to make great
    changes, you can influence many decisions in areas of authority such ass
    politics and other public and social arenas involving money.

• 9 minecraft.exe // May 25, 2015 at 11:56 pm

Hi exceptional blog! Does running a blog like this take a great deal
    of work? I’ve absolutely no knowledge of programming however I
    had been hoping to start my own blog in the near future.
    Anyway, should you have any suggestions or techniques for new
    blog owners please share. I know this is off subject however I
    just wanted to ask. Thank you!