Tales From The ASSA Road, Philadelphia Edition…

January 1st, 2014 · 6 Comments
Administrative

Happy New Year! I am celebrating by trying to stuff an entire exhibit booth of stuff into a convertible. As many of you know, this weekend is the annual meeting of the American Economic Association (which is, as the post’s title implies, part of the Allied Social Science Association). This year’s meeting is in Philadelphia, and it’s a great time to get your nerd on with about 10,000 or so economists.

If you’re reading this, you likely don’t need me to tell you what this site is all about, but if you want to stop by the exhibit hall I would be happy to remind you. Oh, and I have stickers and candy, but, sadly, no windowless van. BUT…more importantly, I have projects for you- one if you’re feeling ambitious, and one if you’re feeling bored. If you’re feeling ambitious, I want you to think of a fun example of an economic principle that you can describe in about 2 minutes or so. When you stop by the booth, my RA will use whatever videography skills she may possess to tape your segment, which we’ll then put together into a fun little series.

If you’re feeling bored, I’m working on an economics bingo card for you to take with you to talks to give you things to listen for. This is what I’ve got so far:

Suggestions welcome- I see lots of potential for turning econ bingo into a drinking game. Also, you should go to the humor session on Saturday.

Tags: Administrative

• 1 J.D. // Jan 2, 2014 at 2:52 pm

For the I/O column, “Herfindahl-Hirschman Index (HHI)”.

• 2 J.D. // Jan 2, 2014 at 2:55 pm

Also for I/O, “SSNIP” – Small but significant and non-transitory increase in price.

• 3 J.D. // Jan 2, 2014 at 3:01 pm

Final suggestion for I/O, “network effects”.

• 4 Greg // Jan 3, 2014 at 5:58 pm

The monkeys at Econ Job Market Rumors have come up with their own ASSA-themed bingo game:

• 5 econgirl // Jan 3, 2014 at 8:00 pm

That. Is. Fantastic. I almost did a spit take at the Noah Smith square. In related news, I have got to step up my game. 🙂

• 6 Jessica Hutchins // Mar 15, 2014 at 8:20 am

Hello there,

My name is Jessica Hutchins and I’m a professional blogger.
    I have over seven years of experience writing for the web and have covered plenty of interesting topics.
    I noticed that you have a blog – http://www.economistsdoitwithmodels.com/
    … and was wondering whether you would be interested to accept some relevant topics as guestpost for your blog.
    Please let me know your interest so that I can send across some topics from where we can get started.
    Hoping to hear from you at the earliest!
    Thanks Much!!