Now You Too Can Get Your Learn On With The Federal Reserve…

March 19th, 2012 · 7 Comments
Macroeconomics · Policy

Save the dates: March 20, 22, 27, and 29 at 12:45pm (Eastern time). Those lucky kids at George Washington University get to see the Ben-Bernank in person (I think), but the rest of us get to play along with the home version. Starting tomorrow, Federal Reserve Chairman Ben Bernanke will give a series of lectures entitled “The Federal Reserve and the Financial Crisis,” and the talks will be available both live via Ustream and in recorded format here. You can also tune in below to watch live:

Live video for mobile from Ustream

When possible, I will be live tweeting the most interesting parts of the talks here. I also recommend that you read an overview of what the Federal Reserve does to refresh your memory before the talks.

Tags: Macroeconomics · Policy

• 1 Punditus Maximus // Mar 19, 2012 at 2:46 pm

Will Bernanke be continuing his “I know what to do and I have the power to do it, but I won’t do it because it would make the guys down at the country club mad” schtick?

• 2 econgirl // Mar 19, 2012 at 2:53 pm

I guess we’ll just have to watch and see. 🙂

• 3 Punditus Maximus // Mar 19, 2012 at 4:24 pm

Hmph. I’m still grumpy with you for talking about Social Security as though it’s an investment (where you take on risk) as versus insurance (where you pay someone else to take on risk).

Grump grump grump.

• 4 BradyDale // Mar 20, 2012 at 11:11 am

I confess I’m skeptical, too. It just doesn’t feel like they are willing to do anything outside the dogma.

I’m beginning to buy into the Marxist idea (and I never thought I’d say that) that it isn’t one or two things that went wrong – it’s a fundamental effed system. So who really cares what this guy or that proposes as fixes?

It’s a rigged game meant to do nothing but keep the rich rich, and everything else goes to hell. Well… pity.

• 5 econgirl // Mar 20, 2012 at 12:02 pm

It’s entirely possible that these talks are going to be more about teaching what the Federal Reserve does and what happened with the financial crisis rather than defending any particular policy actions, which would be entirely appropriate for a college audience as well as most adults, I would guess. Again, let’s wait and see. 🙂

• 6 Punditus Maximus // Mar 21, 2012 at 11:50 am

@BradyDale: the system worked fine for fifty years after WWII and produced the greatest expansion of prosperity and human agency in history.

Don’t let a class of grifters determined to destroy the good things obscure that there were good things.

• 7 Punditus Maximus // Mar 30, 2012 at 11:41 am