How To Put My Online Videos To Shame, Game Theory Edition…

March 13th, 2012 · 7 Comments
Education · Game Theory

In today’s “better than a Groupon” news, two professors at Stanford University are offering a game theory course online for free. The course starts on Monday, March 19th, so you’d better get a move on. From what I can tell, the course provides modular online lectures as well as problem sets and exams and such, and I am personally interested enough to give it a go. (Sorry, part of the terms of service is that I can’t give you the answers. =P) I figure that, if Gizmo can do it, the rest of you should have no trouble.

I am a big supporter of this model, if for no other reason than it blows the University of Phoenix out of the water on a number of levels and shows, to some degree, that moving the classroom online doesn’t have to be coupled with a loss of legitimacy or quality. I hope that, at the very least, these sorts of programs really make people think about the purpose of education and the drivers of the education costs that people like talking about so much. (To put it less tactfully, these programs totally highlight the “you pay for a degree, not for an education” concept.)

Or you could just watch my videos and just call it a day, but I’m pretty sure that this will be better.

Tags: Education · Game Theory

• 1 Jake Lopata // Mar 13, 2012 at 1:12 pm

I’ll be giving this a try.

• 2 Melodie // Mar 13, 2012 at 10:53 pm

Awesome, thanks for the link!

• 3 Dave // Mar 15, 2012 at 4:18 pm

I am presently taking a Natural Language Processing course, also from Stanford and Coursera, on the same platform. Thus far, I’ve found the platform, delivery and so forth to be well-done. This is, far and away, the best online learning situation I’ve encountered in a free course.

Of course, results will vary depending upon how much work the teachers are willing to put into the course. The professors teaching Natural Language Processing clearly wanted it to be polished, professional and useful. If the Game Theory professors feel the same way, it is likely that the Game Theory course will also be very good.

• 4 next // Mar 15, 2013 at 8:30 am

Aw, this was a very nice post. Taking a few minutes
    and actual effort to create a very good article… but what can I say… I procrastinate
    a lot and don’t seem to get nearly anything done.

• 5 how to lose weight fast // Dec 30, 2013 at 5:17 pm

Most people know that extreme starvation dieting is unhealthy and dangerous,
    but some people want to lose weight so much, they eat too little and
    actually inhibit their progress. Of course many people don’t really understand
    what a “healthy diet” consists of, and part of the reason for this is because different sources will recommend different diets.

Also, the more veggies you eat, the less likely
    you will be hungry to eat other things that are not healthy for you.

• 6 Battlefield Heroes Free Funds // May 17, 2014 at 5:53 am

Heya i am for the first time here. I found this board and I find It truly
    useful & it helped me out much. I hope to give something back and aid others like
    you helped me.

My web blog; Battlefield Heroes Free Funds

• 7 Pembicara Internet Marketing // Sep 8, 2016 at 11:33 am

From what I can tell, Pembicara Internet Marketing the course provides modular online lectures as well as problem sets and exams and such, and I am personally interested enough to give it a go