Two Days Until Economic-Con 2012…

January 4th, 2012 · 8 Comments
Administrative

Guess where the annual meeting of the American Economic Association is being held this year:

(I may or may not have stock photos like this for various cities throughout the world.) The AEA annual meeting is being held January 6-8 (Friday-Sunday) in Chicago, IL. If you are attending, you should stop by and say hi! (For those of you who are not attending but are curious, you can see information about the conference here.) This year, I have a booth set up in the exhibit hall, since this is far easier than trying to chase people down to give them stickers. I also figured that it would be a good opportunity to talk to people about the video series and such and get an idea of what educators are looking for in terms of supplemental resources. Oh, and I’m also giving a couple of talks:

First, the “totally out of my league” panel discussion:

Then the more research-y session:

You may have noticed that neither of these talks is during the humor session- my apologies, a girl can only do so much! (Also, I’m not sure I’m funny enough to come up with new material every year.) That said, I will certainly be in the audience, and you should be too, if for no other reason than the last item here:

The humor session is open to the public, so you can come by and heckle Krugman if you are in the Chicago area, even if you haven’t registered for the conference. In addition, I am working on trying again to stream the session online, and I will give you more info on that ASAP. If all goes well, you should see something at 8pm Central Time on Saturday here:

You can also see the ustream channel directly here.

Hope to see many of you this weekend!

Tags: Administrative

• 1 Jake Lopata // Jan 4, 2012 at 4:21 pm

Sounds like fun, wish I could be there!

• 2 Punditus Maximus // Jan 4, 2012 at 4:23 pm

Oh please get into the blogspat between Tyler Cowen/Alex Tabarrok and Paul Krugman.

Tyler and Alex think that Krugman is insulting and condescending. You know, like a Libertarian.

• 3 Jake Lopata // Jan 4, 2012 at 4:29 pm

You left out Cochrane.

That might get nasty quick!

• 4 AJ // Jan 5, 2012 at 1:55 pm

Have you thought of working with Sal Khan of Khan Academy?
    Check out his AMA on reddit a few weeks ago… http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/ntsco/i_am_salman_khan_founder_of_khan_academyama/
    Just a thought.. 🙂

• 5 Moudi // Jan 5, 2012 at 4:07 pm

That’s awesome! I’ve been a follower of your blog for some time now, but this is my first comment.

Given the time, attending a discussion with the mentioned panelists would be a thrill!

• 6 Gene Hayward // Jan 5, 2012 at 9:36 pm

Are the panel discussions open to the public? By open to the public, I mean can one walk in off the street and “occupy” a seat, or do they require registration/payment? Thanks!

• 7 econgirl // Jan 6, 2012 at 2:13 am

So I’m not sure how to answer this question- technically, people are supposed to register for all of the sessions other than the humor session. That said, I don’t recall them ever being particularly strict about badges anywhere other than in the exhibit hall, so take that for what it’s worth.

• 8 Lorena R // Jan 9, 2012 at 4:22 pm

I had the pleasure of attending your Blogs for Teaching Economics presentation. Thanks for the tips and I look forward to future posts. Maybe next year you’ll get in on the humor session. 😉