December 7th, 2010 · 13 Comments
Just For Fun

Awwwwww, it warms my heart that you guys pay attention to my fascination with nerdy license plates. From a reader, who says his friend spotted it near the UPenn Economics Department:

Can someone please convince me that this doesn’t mean what I think it means? (I had one potential explanation, but then I learned that Eugen Slutsky died in 1948.)

Update: I am told that there is a Philly-based economic consulting firm called Econsult. Somehow this makes the license plate even funnier to me…probably because it reminds me of the following:

Tags: Just For Fun

• 1 Rob Jefferson // Dec 7, 2010 at 2:08 pm

Before seeing that it was an NJ plate, my first thought was that it was related to Econsult, which is a Philly-based economic consulting firm that has ties to UPenn (the president of the company teaches at Wharton).

• 2 Rob // Dec 7, 2010 at 2:10 pm

Perhaps an affordable (economical) “speech and language therapist?”

• 3 Thea Harvey // Dec 7, 2010 at 2:14 pm

How about econ consultant?

• 4 Russ Nelson // Dec 7, 2010 at 2:14 pm

Rob, pretty much ALL of NJ is within spitting distance of Philly.

• 5 Eric // Dec 7, 2010 at 2:22 pm

Cherry Hill, NJ and more NJ towns are right over the PENN/NJ border, and Philadelphia has a lot of commuters from NJ. It could be an Econsult employee

• 6 Ben // Dec 7, 2010 at 2:28 pm

Econsult it is! I was kind of getting excited about the possibilities, though. Thanks guys for raining on the parade.

• 7 Rob Jefferson // Dec 7, 2010 at 2:30 pm

Russ, Eric: Fair enough. I just moved to Philly recently, and haven’t been able to travel around much. I just recognized Econsult from reports I’ve been reading and my current job search.

• 8 econgirl // Dec 7, 2010 at 2:31 pm

This thread is really making me laugh…I am guessing that you are probably right, in which case people should really give more thought as to how their vanity plates could be misinterpreted.

It reminds me of this:

Oh, how I love Arrested Development…

• 9 Alex J. // Dec 7, 2010 at 9:47 pm

More interestingly…

Why would someone who works in economics live in NJ, unless they like the highest tax burden in the country.

• 10 misterxroboto // Dec 7, 2010 at 10:33 pm

obviously, i’m an econslut for econsult.

• 11 econgirl // Dec 8, 2010 at 3:11 am

@ Alex: Maybe they don’t like pumping their own gas?

I am now curious as to whether property values and such near state borders compensate for such differences…

• 12 Alex J. // Dec 8, 2010 at 7:42 pm

Unfortunately I’ve had way to much experience with this from dating too many girls from NJ.
    Property values for a similar house in NJ vary widely by location. But to some extent, you can get an inexpensive middle class ‘suburban’ house closer to center city in NJ than in PA.

But when you consider the higher property taxes (i recall my ex-gfs parents paid almost 10k on a 350k house, 33% more than my parents paid for a house worth around 450k).
    If you make more than 35k the state income tax is higher also. (philly has an income tax of 3.75% but you pay it if you live OR work in philly so its mute)
    Plus you pay $100 a month to cross the bridge (125$ soon probably)

About gas pumping. Interestingly NJ has 15 cents less gas tax than PA and the average gas price is about 15 cents less. Basically they don’t pay extra to have someone pump gas. By making it illegal to pump your own gas there is so much less liability that gas stations save on insurance costs about as much as labor.

Ok way to much haha.

• 13 eyaculación precoz // Nov 26, 2011 at 10:49 am

Somebody essentially assist to create severely posts I’d condition. That is the actual very first period We went to your own website page as well as up to now? We surprised using the analysis a person created to make this particular put up extraordinary. Wonderful job!