An Economist Reads An STD Warning Poster…

June 15th, 2009 · 14 Comments
Advertising · Econ 101

When I posted before with the title “An Economist Reads The Newspaper”, I had no idea that it would be a theme…nor did I envision the theme taking a turn for the creepy this soon. Regardless, I was walking in the Harvard Science Center the other day and saw a poster that said the following:

“50-75% of people who have chlamydia have no symptoms.”

This poster clearly achieved it marketing goal, at least in the short term, since it immediately made me think two things. First, it made me think that *obviously* I must have chlamydia, since I am exhibiting no symptoms (at least not to my knowledge). Second, as a corollary, it made me think that maybe I’ve been doing it with too many models. *rim shot*

Luckily, as a skeptical economist, I quickly saw the error in my initial train of thought. The fallacy in my thought process was a misapplication of Bayes’ Rule. (I suggest scrolling down to the examples on that link, since your brain might explode otherwise.) I don’t want to get too technical on you here, so suffice it to say that I was mistaken to make an inference before stopping to say to myself “wait a minute, this all depends on how likely it is for someone to have chlamydia in the first place.” (Sidenote: I can only imagine what I’m going to see now for search terms that people use to get to my site.) Like any true geek, I looked up statistics on the prevalence of chlamydia, and I determined that a reasonable infection rate to use is about 1 percent. I also figured that I would make the middle of the road approach regarding the data from the poster and assume that 62.5 percent of people who have chlamydia don’t have any symptoms…even though that clearly doesn’t have the same ring to it.

To do the math, we need to consider the following:

• The conditional probability of one thing happening (let’s call it A) given that another thing happened (let’s call it B) is given by “the probability that both A and B happened divided by the probability that B happened.”
  • The probablity that one has chlamydia and no symptoms is 1% times 62.5%, or 0.625%.
  • The probability that one has chlamydia and does have symptoms is 1% times (1-62.5%), or 0.375%.
  • The probability that one doesn’t have chlamydia yet exhibits symptoms…well, let’s just assume that this is zero. (This should logically be zero unless chlamydia shares exact symptoms with another disease.)
  • The probability that one doesn’t have chlamydia and doesn’t exhibit symptoms is then 1-1%, or 99%.

Why this is information is helpful is summarized by the following:

Lesson learned: in a lot of cases, no news is most likely good news. Note, however, that if chlamydia were more prevalent in the population overall, this number would be higher. Revised lesson learned: no news is most likely good news when the news is that you don’t have burn marks from getting struck by lightning. (Hint: you probably didn’t get struck by lightning, but you already knew that.)

Tags: Advertising · Econ 101

• 1 econgirl // Jun 15, 2009 at 8:22 am

A Facebook reader makes the following point:

“You forgot to factor in how many models you’ve done. As you do more models, your statistical probability of falling into the category of having it without exhibiting symptoms rises exponentially due to your high-risk behavior.”

If you scroll down about 1/6 of the way in the Bayes’ Rule link you will see the following: “Objective Bayesians emphasise that these probabilities are fixed by a body of well-specified background knowledge (K), so their version of the theorem expresses this.”

You then see a formula that takes the background knowledge into account, so you would get something like “the probability of having chlamydia given that you exhibit no symptoms and are a slut is equal to…” So technically the reader is correct in that my fear, or subsequent lack thereof, was not conditioned on what I know about my own behavior.

• 2 J Frank // Jun 15, 2009 at 10:36 am

If you get chlamydia in a forest, and no symptoms follow to hear, are you better off not knowing? (I say yes, unless you care about your partners welfare more than you care about having partners)

• 3 Dan L // Jun 15, 2009 at 10:42 am

Maybe I’m too much of an “economist” but the message of the poster seems both clear and effective: Don’t think you’re safe from STDs just because you and your partners don’t have have any symptoms. The effect that the poster had on you (and others) was not only desirable but also statistically justified, really: If you didn’t already know the 50-75% statistic, then however concerned you were about chlamydia (presumably based on your sexual behavior, etc.), you should be a lot *more* concerned after reading the poster. (Unless your concern was exactly zero to start with.)

Also, I noticed that the link you gave suggests that as much as 1.25% of the population has undiagnosed chlamydia. That might sound small, but that’s actually a huge percentage. The CDC also estimates that 1 in 20 women of reproductive age have chlamydia, as well as 1 in 10 adolescent girls. Yikes! Now here would likely be a good scare statistic if they could estimate it: Incidence of undiagnosed chlamydia for those who’ve had 2 or more sexual partners in the last year (or something like that).

Aside: People call that Bayes’ Rule? Really? I guess people like to name things to make sure students know that they’re Important.

• 4 centrist58 // Jun 15, 2009 at 11:33 am

Following up on Dan L’s observations, the incidence is increasing over time and is concentrated in certain populations. The high rate of missed diagnosis (75%) and multiple partners means that the 1 in 20 estimate germane to econgirl is likely higher in 2009 than in 2006 when the estimate was made. We need some Network Theory math to figure out how to update the probability – that’s an aspiration for me (Matthew Jackson’s “Social and Economic Networks” is a recent, unread addition to my library).

• 5 kominki marmurowe // Oct 13, 2011 at 11:29 am

Thanks for the information… appreciated… been reading for awhile, and simply wanted to inform you I still enjoy your writing.

• 6 el amor es bonito // Nov 6, 2011 at 2:41 pm

I have to express some appreciation to this writer for rescuing me from this scenario. As a result of browsing throughout the world-wide-web and getting solutions which are not helpful, I believed my entire life was gone. Being alive devoid of the approaches to the issues you’ve sorted out as a result of your main site is a crucial case, and ones which may have in a negative way affected my career if I had not noticed your site. Your personal expertise and kindness in playing with all the stuff was useful. I don’t know what I would have done if I hadn’t discovered such a step like this. I am able to at this moment look forward to my future. Thanks for your time very much for this skilled and results-oriented guide. I will not hesitate to suggest your site to anybody who would need tips on this topic.

• 7 Darda961 // Dec 2, 2011 at 9:46 pm

I wanted to post you a little remark to help thank you so much as before over the nice tips you have shared on this page. It is so unbelievably generous with people like you in giving unreservedly all a few individuals could have advertised as an e book to earn some dough on their own, primarily now that you might have done it if you wanted. These suggestions as well served to be a easy way to fully grasp the rest have a similar dream the same as my own to learn a great deal more with reference to this problem. I am certain there are numerous more pleasurable sessions up front for people who look over your website.

• 8 http://thevenusfactorresults.com // Apr 20, 2014 at 5:49 am

Right here is the perfect website for anybody who hopes
    to find out about this topic. You understand so
    much its almost tough to argue with you (not that I personally will need to…HaHa).
    You definitely put a new spin on a subject that’s been written about for a long time.
    Wonderful stuff, just great!

• 9 test // May 18, 2014 at 1:11 pm

I love your blog.. very nice colors & theme. Did you create this website yourself or
    did you hire someone to do it for you? Plz answer back as I’m looking to construct my own blog
    and would like to find out where u got this from.
    many thanks

my page – test

• 10 trafficking brazil // Aug 11, 2014 at 3:44 am

It often depends on what number of vehicles are found.

Now you know the party’s over i’m able to party drug,
    Mephedrone. First, T visas are reserved for those victims of trafficking.

• 11 red cross cna training tampa // Sep 3, 2014 at 1:59 am

It is possible to find CNA (Certified Nursing Assistant) courses online, but
    it is important to know that some of these so called CNA courses offered online can be pretty misleading.
    Becoming a Certified Nurse Aide, or CNA as it is
    commonly known, is a rewarding career choice that will provide unlimited experiences to
    you in the health career field. Compare to other education programs, CNA training lasts quite shortly – from 6-12 weeks.

• 12 Veey.Net // Sep 20, 2014 at 9:06 pm

Mais comment trouvez-vous tous ces pictures quand ils sont tous deguises level un code?
    Les show sont sur serveurs dedies donc la qualite est irreprochable et il
    n’y a pas de limite de temps !

My blog … Veey.Net

• 13 wireless home security systems with cameras // Jan 15, 2015 at 12:09 am

These wide ranges of window films and films related products are designed for solar control, decorative
    purposes, glass privacy, safety and security. It has a
    wireless radio frequency range of 300 feet. Home security has a
    lot do with the safety of your neighborhood as well.

With a nanny cam, you can watch the interactions between your nanny, babysitter or
    other caregiver without that person ever knowing you are
    watching. Home alarm systems in Phoenix may help protect houses by
    scaring off potential criminals with loud audible alarms and window decals placed in easy
    to see places. Burglars know that during the holidays, there are just more goodies to steal, and not only that, but there’s a lot
    of traveling away from home.

• 14 Ravi // Feb 2, 2015 at 7:50 am

Economic is such as a huge subject and it’s impossible to master this without determination and passion, therefore we need to work hard head down. I am currently trading with an 8 times award winning OctaFX, it is also nominated in Best Broker and Most Reliable Broker’s category at FX Awards, so with them everything is perfect and I can easily concentrate on learning without pressure of having my funds insecure. I have performed so much better ever since I joined them.