Economists, Charity And The Boston Marathon (And A Request For You)…

April 20th, 2009 · 15 Comments
Uncategorized

Today is Patriots Day in Massachusetts- yes, this is actually a state holiday, but what it really means is that the Greater Boston area shuts down for the running of the Boston Marathon. The Boston Marathon is one of the most popular marathons in the world, and it is one of the few marathons to still have a qualifying time requirement. However, slow people like me can circumvent the qualifying issue by raising money for a charity and getting a number that way. I chose to raise money for Boston Partners in Education (not surprising given my background), and I am still in the process of raising the required $3000. As an economist, the motivation for charitable giving is a bit of a foreign concept to me, but I also know that I support organizations with a valuable mission, so who knows.

As part of the fundraising process, there is a prize for the person that gets the most individual donations. As such, I bring a contribution request to you, even if it’s just $1, $5, or whatever. In return I will continue to entertain you with my economic wisdom. 🙂 (Ok, I will continue to entertain you regardless, but you get the idea.)

You can donate online via firstgiving.com. You can also track my progress in the race here– my number is 21868. The race starts at 10:30am for us slow people, and I will be Twittering updates (@jodiecongirl) as I go!

Also, a funny picture from after the Hampton Beach half marathon last fall…and yes, I really needed a corn dog…

Lastly, in the spirit of the occasion, here are some links about the economics of charitable giving:
“What Makes People Give” by David Leonhardt, in the NYT (I probably should have read this earlier!)
An Undercover Economist article about charitable giving in recessions, published just two days ago
A report on charitable giving from the St. Louis Federal Reserve
An Undercover Economist article entitled “The Economic Case Agaist Philanthropy” – oh wait, don’t read that one until later 🙂

Tags: Uncategorized

• 1 Matt // Apr 20, 2009 at 2:57 pm

Wow, you have got it all going for you. Not only are you smart, witty, and talk about economics :-), but you can run in a marathon. I’m jealous of your determination in all of that. (I’ll stick to 1 or 2 miles, thank you)

Anyway, just thought I’d add an idea for the economists to think about. The link to the Karlan and List project was a good read, and I am glad we have economists that take the initiative to do such labor. I cannot help but be reminded of my senior Game Theory class at college a year ago. The one thing I took away from that class was the idea of limited rationality and the effect it plays on decision-making. I liked that idea so much that I know it is the one thing that made me truly believe in behavioral economics.

I simply pose this: Is it so hard to believe that people donate money simply because they believe that it will make much more of a difference then it actually does (Thinking of the multitude of smaller donors exhibited by the Obama faithful this past election). Just like a person’s solitary vote, it will mean little, and often times cause negative utility(cost of going to polls, etc.), when the political figure you support does not win. How far down the road do the donors look when they are swept by political fervor?

Although we economists hate to assume this, it may sometimes be quite rational to expect people to be irrational. 🙂

• 2 Dan L // Apr 20, 2009 at 10:21 pm

A prize for the person that gets the most individual donations? Don’t you now owe us a post analyzing this incentive scheme?

Side note: You clearly took up running for the outfits.

• 3 Weddings // Oct 12, 2011 at 5:53 pm

for adding this up, it had been worth finding out about and told a lot

• 4 bonitas // Nov 6, 2011 at 1:21 pm

What i do not understood is if truth be told how you’re no longer actually much more well-liked than you may be now. You’re very intelligent. You recognize therefore significantly relating to this topic, produced me personally imagine it from so many numerous angles. Its like women and men don’t seem to be involved until it is something to do with Woman gaga! Your personal stuffs outstanding. At all times maintain it up!

• 5 Gregory1153 // Dec 2, 2011 at 11:51 pm

I wanted to create you this bit of remark in order to say thank you as before for your striking tactics you have featured in this case. It has been simply open-handed of people like you to supply freely precisely what a number of people would have sold for an e book in making some cash for themselves, primarily considering that you might have done it in case you considered necessary. Those tricks in addition acted to provide a good way to recognize that other people online have the identical dreams just as my own to find out a little more in respect of this matter. I believe there are a lot more enjoyable occasions up front for many who examine your blog post.

• 6 linux cheap vps // Dec 11, 2011 at 1:17 am

Wonderful beat ! I would like to apprentice at the same time as you amend your website, how can i subscribe for a blog web site? The account aided me a appropriate deal. I have been a little bit acquainted of this your broadcast provided shiny clear concept

• 7 what is a paralegal job description // Mar 5, 2015 at 9:08 am

Yes! Finally someone writes about paralegals
    jjob description.

• 8 mujeres hermosas // Apr 24, 2015 at 2:11 am

What’s up every one, here every one is sharing these kinds of experience, thus it’s pleasant to read this web
    site, and I used to pay a visit this blog daily.

• 9 Lupe // Jun 7, 2015 at 1:08 pm

Hi, yes this article is in fact nice and I have learned lot of things
    from it regarding blogging. thanks.

• 10 free gems clash of clans // Nov 11, 2015 at 1:14 pm

Thanks for finally writing about > Economists, Charity And The Boston Marathon (And A Request For You) < Loved it!

• 11 Deer Hunter Hack // Nov 22, 2015 at 1:39 pm

Thanks for finally talking about > Economists, Charity And The Boston Marathon (And A Request For You) < Loved it!

• 12 Dragon of Atlantis Hack // Nov 23, 2015 at 1:03 pm

Thanks for finally talking about > Economists, Charity
    And The Boston Marathon (And A Request For
    You) < Loved it!

• 13 Dr Driving Hack // Nov 23, 2015 at 11:35 pm

It’s actually a nice and helpful piece of info. I’m happy that you just shared this
    helpful info with us. Please keep us up to date like this.
    Thanks for sharing.

• 14 High School Story Cheat // Dec 22, 2015 at 11:07 am

If you want to grow your knowledge simply keep visiting this site and be updated with the
    most recent information posted here.

• 15 Crime City Hack // Dec 24, 2015 at 7:07 pm

If you are going for finest contents like myself, only go
    to see this web page every day because it presents quality
    contents, thanks